This topic was a hard one for my group to cover in class. The book seemed to jump all over the place and not focus on anything age-specific, but touched on every topic we've discussed in the class. We wanted to bring in different areas that can be age-related in the presentation. The skits the groups presented were great representations of various scenarios that educators experience in the classroom. It is essential that teachers take necessary steps to love, protect, teach, and help their students however they can -- even though it may not be easy. Legal and ethical responsibilities fall into our hands, and we need to prioritize the students' safety, well-being, and success.
I was once my students' age. I have walked in their shoes. Yes, times have changed, but overall people are still the same inside. Technology, fashion, family structure, transportation, and values have changed since I was in school. While these things have changed, some may argue that they have improved society, while others may argue they've changed to the detriment of our culture. One thing that stands out to me is the way that my generation communicates versus the generation in school now. I enjoy face-to-face conversations or phone calls, while kids now have a hard time communicating in person and would rather send a text message over actually speaking to someone.
As an educator, I obviously am older than my students. This age difference provides me with opportunities to stand up for my students when they cannot do so for themselves. I have a responsibility to protect them, help them, and care for them. I need to be a voice for those who may not have one. This may carry over into the childhood obesity epidemic. I can model how to live a healthy lifestyle, how to have balance, and how to make healthy choices all around. All in all, how can I use my age and stage to better the lives of my students while they are in the age and stage they are?
No comments:
Post a Comment